Amanda-Users

Re: amandad without xinetd

2003-01-21 16:25:07
Subject: Re: amandad without xinetd
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: jkang AT bnl DOT gov
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:50:20 -0500
On Tuesday 21 January 2003 14:49, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Tuesday 21 January 2003 11:19, Kang, James wrote:
>>They don't want to run xinetd.
>>Is amandad capable of running "stand-alone" mode?
>>Please understand I am not trying to argue against your "default
>> xinetd mode" solution with the latest xinetd.
>
>I personally think their worries are missplaced, but that and a $1
>bill will get you a cuppa most anyplace.  However, I did a killall
>amandad here, then before I tried to run it I found I had 2
> copies, one of which was maybe a leftover from an rpm install, so
> I rm'd it and ran the other one with an & as the eol.  It died
> shortly, so I'd assume there is more to it than that.  And there
> does not seem to be a manpage for it.
>
>I just checked my /etc/xinetd.d/amanda script and it was running
> the recently installed version, but has not restarted it in about
> 10 minutes since I killed it.  Humm, odd. Before a restart of
> xinetd would restart amandad, (I tried that twice) I had to
> re-install, so maybe that second copy in /usr/lib/amanda is
> needed after all.  And I hope I didn't kill a 70 meg OO-1.0.2
> download doing that, I only have a 56k dialup line.
>
>So at this point, I don't know if you could successfully put the
>amandad launch in rc.local or not.  All I can say is try it, and
>watch it occasionally with ps to make sure its running.  Maybe
> even write a script for cron to run that checks to see if its
> running, and restarts it if it isn't.  Or a wrapper script that
> runs it, waits till it exits, sleeps 5 seconds and loops.  The
> sleep 5 is to keep it from hogging the system in case something
> is really fubar.
>
>Does anybody else have a better idea?  Thats my best shot at it.

PostScript of sorts. I cannot get it to restart even with the
re-install, that only made the restart of xinetd clean in the
messages log.  I've even run an amcheck, which did not report any
errors, without restarting it. YMMV of course. In my case, we'll
find out when amdump runs in the wee hours I guess.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M