Amanda-Users

Re: amandad without xinetd

2003-01-21 10:07:20
Subject: Re: amandad without xinetd
From: "Kang, James" <jkang AT bnl DOT gov>
To: DK Smith <dks AT MediaWeb DOT com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:41:10 -0500
So, is there a way to start amandad in stand-alone mode?

James

DK Smith wrote:
they are not related in the least...

If you want to get some expert explanations that I do not have time to give,
you could ask the list...

But in general, if this is the client's concern, then they are probably missing
opportunities for behaving in secure ways. Having a standalone version of inetd
does not make it any more or less secure than if inetd or xinetd launches it.

Yes,

My client doesn't want to use xinetd due to (hist) security issue
though I am not really sure if stand-alone mode would be any better
in security.