ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Maximum TSM nodes per server

2013-08-19 12:36:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Maximum TSM nodes per server
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:33:32 -0400
On 08/19/2013 12:24 PM, Zoltan Forray wrote:
> Currently, I have simply distributed the schedules for the nodes
> (each has its own since the OBJECT of the schedule is the share name
> (e.g. "\\rose.adm.adp.vcu.edu
> <http://rose.adm.adp.vcu.edu>\healthadmin")

I see what you're getting at, but unless you've instrumented it pretty
carefully, you don't have a concise idea how many backups are running
simultaneously.

If I were trying to measure this on my own server, I'd make a graph from
noon to noon, (or beginning of first to end of last)  with stacked
series showing which incrs were running when.  Then see how many are
running at the same time, at a given moment.

> Traffic to/from the TSM server is not the issue.  Traffic from this
> "head server" to each mount point, is.  [...]  *11h30m*, scanned *2M*
> objects of *2.2TB* but only backed up 93-files of *29MB total*.

Yeah; walking the storage is the bottleneck, usually.

And if one mount point ran 11.5 hours, then I'm betting your peak incr
count is pretty high.

- Allen S. Rout