ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Maximum TSM nodes per server

2013-08-16 13:14:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Maximum TSM nodes per server
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:12:08 +0000
I feel your pain.
CIFS is a really, really slow protocol for scanning directories.

One obvious solution is to fire up another server to split the load.  You can
use a proxy relationship to have the filesystem backup remain in whatever TSM
relationship had it before.  (Have one customer that uses 4 different proxy
servers to back up shares on an EMC NAS.)

If the problem is the filesystem itself, and one proxy can't scan the 10m files
in the required window, your only choice is to put a client on the machine that
has direct attachment to the filesystem and use journaling.