ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Maximum TSM nodes per server

2013-08-16 13:37:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Maximum TSM nodes per server
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 13:36:00 -0400
On 08/16/2013 01:09 PM, Skylar Thompson wrote:
> I'd actually argue that as long as you don't run out of address space in
> your client processes, disabling memoryefficientbackup is actually a
> win. [...]  We've found our throughput to
> be much higher with memoryefficientbackup disabled than enabled.

I completely agree with you, as stated.  In fact, before the marketers
got ahold of it, the option was entitled 'SLOWINCREMENTAL'. :)

but when you get into millions of objects in a FS, it's plausible to get
to a spot where you're swapping.  That will damage performance more.

For most backup proxies I've run into, the memory footprint necessary to
keep the whole manifest in core was bigger than folks wanted to spend.

- Allen S. Rout