ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Maximum TSM nodes per server

2013-08-16 13:11:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Maximum TSM nodes per server
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:09:40 -0700
I'd actually argue that as long as you don't run out of address space in
your client processes, disabling memoryefficientbackup is actually a
win. At least for NFS, there's a reasonable degree of parallelism
between data and metadata operations.

With memoryefficientbackup enabled, TSM walks a directory, finds files
that are changed, and sends them to the TSM server, in that order.
Without memoryefficientbackup, you can have scout threads finding
directories and files to process, while you have reader threads that are
actually sending data to the TSM server. We've found our throughput to
be much higher with memoryefficientbackup disabled than enabled.

NB: This is with RHEL/NFS, not Windows/CIFS.