Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Capabilities of Bacula 7.0.5

2015-10-20 10:01:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Capabilities of Bacula 7.0.5
From: "Novosielski, Ryan" <novosirj AT ca.rutgers DOT edu>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 09:40:30 -0400
> On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:13, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/19/2015 05:15 AM, Compdoc wrote:
>> >Well, did you try to find prices at IBM webpage for its products?
>>
>> I used to work for IBM. I know i cant afford them. Now I service computers
>> for small and medium size businesses, and I look for       alternatives to
>> yearly support subscriptions because in the end, I find the answers to their
>> problems. It's been many years since I've needed paid support. Many years.
>>
>> Really, who doesn't want clear, concise pricing while avoiding salesmen who
>> can set prices based on what they think you can afford to pay? And who
>> doesn't want anonymity? I spend a lot money with Amazon because i can see
>> their prices and there's no waiting...
>>
>> Anyway, everyone wants to see bacula do well, including me, but adopting the
>> business models of huge corporations seems like the antithesis of open
>> source, and possibly marks the end of a great open source project. It's sad,
>> is all.
>
> Your point of view seems to me to be a bit too pessimistic.  Bacula Systems
> is a company that (for the moment) is competing with big companies in the
> enterprise market such as EMC, Symantec, IBM, HP, and ...  Bacula Systems is
> doing quite well in that market and has been consistently growing at about
> 65% in revenues each year since its creation, consequently the future of
> Bacula Systems looks quite bright. The rather standard way of dealing with
> pricing seems to be more an advantage rather than a hindrance at least in the
> Enterprise market.

As someone who does not have a horse in this race, I can't say I do much prefer
to have some idea of ballpark of price before speaking to someone. It seems a
shame to me to initiate a process which generates a quote and to find out that
the quote is going to be $100,000 when all I have is $10k, or something like
that. Maybe there is some advantage there, because a sales person can work with
people individually, but it is nice to let people have a rough idea. However, I
am not an enterprise customer. Perhaps they think completely opposite for all I
know.

Thanks for all you do.