Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Capabilities of Bacula 7.0.5

2015-10-18 04:14:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Capabilities of Bacula 7.0.5
From: Guido Falsi <mad AT madpilot DOT net>
To: Craig Shiroma <shiroma.craig.2 AT gmail DOT com>, Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 09:52:30 +0200
On 10/18/15 07:31, Craig Shiroma wrote:
> Thank you, Heitor!  The information is much appreciated.
>
> Re:
>
>     - Bare Metal Restores - however, I'm not sure if this is still in
>     development
>
> I had no news from BMR in Bacula community version for such a long time,
> probably because virtualization is increasingly popular and it's much
> easier to backup a full VM for disaster recovery purposes. I know BE has
> a improved and easier version of BMR for Windows and Linux however.
>
> Does this mean that Bacula Enterprise can backup a VM, meaning the
> actual vmdks that make it up (all filesystems) and restore the VM?  Or,
> do you mean it can backup all the data on the VM and to restore the host
> if it was destroyed, the VM has to be re-created and then BE restores
> the data?  If the former, that would be great!

At previous work I was able to backup vmware VMs snapshots and could
just restore the files and connect those to newly created VMs.

I was using this to copy snapshots to an NFS volume:

https://github.com/lamw/ghettoVCB

After getting the snapshots to NFS I just made bacula backup that to the
tape library. Backups done in this way tend to be big, and no
incremental strategy applies, since they always are new files.

Similar strategies can be applied to other visualization technologies.

--
Guido Falsi <mad AT madpilot DOT net>