Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Capabilities of Bacula 7.0.5

2015-10-18 11:31:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Capabilities of Bacula 7.0.5
From: Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
To: Craig Shiroma <shiroma.craig.2 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 13:26:46 -0200 (BRST)
Thank you, Heitor!  The information is much appreciated.
Re:
- Bare Metal Restores - however, I'm not sure if this is still in development
I had no news from BMR in Bacula community version for such a long time, probably because virtualization is increasingly popular and it's much easier to backup a full VM for disaster recovery purposes. I know BE has a improved and easier version of BMR for Windows and Linux however.

Does this mean that Bacula Enterprise can backup a VM, meaning the actual vmdks that make it up (all filesystems) and restore the VM?
If you buy the specific VM backup plugin yes. Including block level incremental backups of the VM.
However for file level restores it is still advisable to install Bacula Clients in each one of the VM (threat them as physical machines).
Or, do you mean it can backup all the data on the VM and to restore the host if it was destroyed, the VM has to be re-created and then BE restores the data?  If the former, that would be great!
The plugin can recreate the machines automatically when restoring.
Thanks again!
You are welcome.
-craig
Heitor Medrado de Faria - LPIC-III | ITIL-F |  Bacula Systems Certified Administrator II
I do Bacula training and deploy in any city of the world. More information: http://bacula.us/