Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Capabilities of Bacula 7.0.5

2015-10-18 18:39:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Capabilities of Bacula 7.0.5
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Craig Shiroma <shiroma.craig.2 AT gmail DOT com>, Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 15:35:23 -0700
On 10/16/2015 09:52 PM, Craig Shiroma wrote:
Hello,

Looking over the manual, it appears open source Bacula 7.0.5 can do the following. However,  I'd like to confirm via this list if possible just to make sure I didn't misunderstand something.  Also, are they easy to setup and is performance good?

- Synthetic Backups which I assume is Virtual Backups in Bacula
- Encryption at rest and in transit
- Bare Metal Restores - however, I'm not sure if this is still in development
- Deduplication

Heitor has already responded concerning the above items.

Last, is setup of the above easier and performance more robust in Bacula Enterprise?

For the above item, yes, Bacula Enterprise is currently easier to setup for several reasons:
- There are more GUI tools such as BWeb where it can do graphical configuration of Bacula
- There are rpms, debs, ... for all common systems and OSes.
- There are more white papers
- Bacula Systems world-class support personnel provide as much aid as necessary to get you up and running with correct conf files.

Yes, Bacula Enterprise has a good number of performance enhancements that are not yet available in the community version.  These enhancements are mainly (not wholly) for large enterprise installations with large number of clients/files to backup.

Best regards,
Kern

Best regards,
-craig