Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO3 tape capacity lower than expected

2010-01-07 03:50:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO3 tape capacity lower than expected
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:48:02 +0100
Thomas Mueller schrieb:

> >> thanks for providing this hints. just searching why my lto-4 is writing
> >> just at 40mb/s. will try them out!
> >>
> >> searching the "Maximum File Size" in the manual I found this:
> >>
> >> If you are configuring an LTO-3 or LTO-4 tape, you probably will want
> >> to set the Maximum File Size to 2GB to avoid making the drive stop to
> >> write an EOF mark.
> >>
> >> maybe this is the reason for the "extra mb/s".
> >
> > Modifying the Maximum Block Size to more than 262144 didn't change much
> > here. But changing the File Size did. Much.
>
> I found a post from Kern saying that Quantum told him, that about 262144
> is the best blocksize - increasing it would increase error rate too.
>

> > Anyway, 40 MB/s seems a bit low, even with the defaults. Before tuning
> > our setup I got ~75 MB/s. Are you spooling the data to disk or writing
> > directly to tape?
>
> yes, i was surprised too that it is that slow.
>
> I'm spooling to disk first (2x 1TB disk as RAID0, dedicated to bacula for
> spooling). i will also start a sequential read test to check if the disks
> are the bottleneck. The slow job was the only one running.
>
> watching iotop i saw the "maximum file size" problem: it stops writing
> after 1 GB (default file size) and writes to the DB and then continues
> writing. so for a LTO-4 it stops nearly 800 times until the tape is full.

That's strange. Bacula shouldn't stop writing, if the Max File Size is
reached it writes a EOF marker and then continuous writing to the next
file. Have you activated attribute spooling? Bacula should then only
write to the DB at the end of a job.

I've never used iotop but with dstat I see a more or less constant
stream from the spool disks to the tape drive.

If this is an HP drive, I would start with the HP LTT tool and a Media
and Drive Assessment Test. There is also an performance test. This
helped me several times to identify bad drives or tapes.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html

There are only RPMs for linux, but with alien you can generate a deb
package for debian if you need. I run the tests in CLF mode (command
line).

Ralf