Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 3.0.3 maintain ctime on restored files?

2010-01-13 21:53:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 3.0.3 maintain ctime on restored files?
From: Steve Costaras <stevecs AT chaven DOT com>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:47:12 -0600

On 01/13/2010 20:36, Dan Langille wrote:
Steve Costaras wrote:
Ok, found out why when I do a restore of files bacula keeps thinking that they are 'new' and will back them up again.   Seems that bacula changes ctime to the time of the restore of the file not the original ctime.   atime & mtime are properly set on the files at restore but not ctime.

It seems? Have you verified by looking at ctime?

What OS?

Yes, sorry for the ambiguity.   ctime is set to the time of the restore of the particular file.   atime/mtime show that the times are set to the original file's times.

OS is linux
Linux loki 2.6.24-26-server #1 SMP Tue Dec 1 18:26:43 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

file system is XFS; using SQLlite3 as the database but that shouldn't matter here.

I didn't see anything in the on-line docs, is there a flag in the fileset directive to keep ALL time values (atime, mtime, ctime) to be exactly as they were on the original file when doing a restore?

(I did see the keepatime flag but from reading that only affects atime?)

"Note, if you use this feature, when Bacula resets the access time, the change time (st_ctime) will automatically be modified by the system, so on the next incremental job, the file will be backed up even if it has not changed. As a consequence, you will probably also want to use mtimeonly = yes as well as keepatime (thanks to Rudolf Cejka for this tip). "

I saw that comment which is why I mentioned it as what I'm seeing is the opposite.  I do not have keepatime set at all and it IS being set to current time at the time of restore.

-----
FileSet {
  Name = "loki-FileSet"
  Ignore FileSet Changes = yes