Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO3 tape capacity lower than expected

2010-01-07 01:37:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO3 tape capacity lower than expected
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 06:34:18 +0000 (UTC)
>> > With
>> >
>> > Maximum File Size = 5G
>> > Maximum Block Size = 262144
>> > Maximum Network Buffer Size = 262144
>> >
>> > I get up to 150M MB/s while despooling to LTO-4 drives. Maximum File
>> > Size gave me some extra MB/s, I think it's as important as the
>> > Maximum Block Size.
>> >

>> thanks for providing this hints. just searching why my lto-4 is writing
>> just at 40mb/s. will try them out!
>>
>> searching the "Maximum File Size" in the manual I found this:
>>
>> If you are configuring an LTO-3 or LTO-4 tape, you probably will want
>> to set the Maximum File Size to 2GB to avoid making the drive stop to
>> write an EOF mark.
>>
>> maybe this is the reason for the "extra mb/s".
>
> Modifying the Maximum Block Size to more than 262144 didn't change much
> here. But changing the File Size did. Much.

I found a post from Kern saying that Quantum told him, that about 262144
is the best blocksize - increasing it would increase error rate too.

> Anyway, 40 MB/s seems a bit low, even with the defaults. Before tuning
> our setup I got ~75 MB/s. Are you spooling the data to disk or writing
> directly to tape?

yes, i was surprised too that it is that slow.

I'm spooling to disk first (2x 1TB disk as RAID0, dedicated to bacula for
spooling). i will also start a sequential read test to check if the disks
are the bottleneck. The slow job was the only one running.

watching iotop i saw the "maximum file size" problem: it stops writing
after 1 GB (default file size) and writes to the DB and then continues
writing. so for a LTO-4 it stops nearly 800 times until the tape is full.

- Thomas