Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 3.0.3 maintain ctime on restored files?

2010-01-14 17:02:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 3.0.3 maintain ctime on restored files?
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Steve Costaras <stevecs AT chaven DOT com>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:59:26 -0500
Steve Costaras wrote:

>>> Ok, found out why when I do a restore of files bacula keeps thinking
>>> that they are 'new' and will back them up again.   Seems that bacula
>>> changes ctime to the time of the restore of the file not the original
>>> ctime.   atime & mtime are properly set on the files at restore but not
>>> ctime.
>>>
>>> I didn't see anything in the on-line docs, is there a flag in the
>>> fileset directive to keep ALL time values (atime, mtime, ctime) to be
>>> exactly as they were on the original file when doing a restore?
>>>
>> No, there is no way to do that.  It is impossible to modify the ctime on unix
>> without hacking the disk directly.

Please reply at the bottom of your message.  It makes it much easier to
follow the issue.

 > Ok, then let me ask this in a different way.  How do you prevent
 > Bacula from backing up files that were just restored?

It appears you can't.  At least, not easily.

 > I see the mtimeonly flag in the fileset options but there are many
 > caveats about using it as you will miss other files that may have been
 > copied over that have retained mtimes from before the last backup.
 > Since bacula does an MD5/SHA1 hash of all files I assumed (wrongly it
 > seems) that it would be smart enough to not back up files that it
 > already had backed up and are on tape.

Smart enough?  Sheesh.  ;)

That hash is to ensure the file is restored properly.  And for
verfication.  To do what you want is not easy.

How big of a problem is this for you?

Have you looked into the Virtual Backups, although I'm not sure this
would help you.