BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?

2013-06-25 12:23:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?
From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:21:49 +0200
Hi Les,

On 25 June 2013 17:38, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I'm having a little trouble reconciling the idea of a 'personal'
> backup with  hundreds of gigs of data per directory, a file server, a
> sysadmin, etc. so I don't think we have the whole picture here.

I am happy to clarify anything that isn't clear.

I am an astronomer. I am at a university where I do simulations on a
supercomputer. My simulations produce a few hundred gigs of data. One
of the researchers here also doubles as sysadmin, but that is a part
time activity along with his research. We mostly look after our own
computers, including backups.

I said "personal backup" because I have only one computer, and I am
root. Recently the sysadmin decided to add a backup server running
BackupPC. I did not know this when this thread started. Yesterday, he
and I sat down together and setup BackupPC to SSH to my workstation
and backup my home. I am one of the first people in the department to
start using the new backup server.

So, as of now, I have a brand new account with a BackupPC server
running on a separate host, as recommended by the people in this
forum. I hope I didn't waste anyone's time with my questions. It is a
real coincidence that the sysadmin decided to start using BackupPC at
about the same time that I started thinking about it.

> The way to do that cheaply is
> to stuff some big sata drives in a raid 1 or 10 configuration in a
> machine that does something else in the daytime.  Given reasonable
> hardware you can run backuppc in a VM if necessary (i.e. it doesn't
> run linux natively or you would not have appropriate access to the
> host otherwise).

I am not sure what the server's setup is, but I'd imagine it is some
sort of RAID.

> If the underlying data is compressible it may take a lot less storage
> than you expect.

I just did a quick test: Gzip compressed a sample data file by 35.7%  :-)

>  Also, if are 'trying things out' you might be able
> to test the upcoming 4.0 version.  If I understand the concepts, it
> may be able to detect existing but moved/renamed files before they are
> transferred where the 3.x versions would have to copy them before
> matching in the pool.

I have a spare computer in storage that's not been used for anything.
I think I'll set up a home backup server for me and my wife.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
Lord of the rings calendar in your Linux/Unix/Mac terminal:
cat /usr/share/calendar/calendar.lotr