BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?

2013-06-23 21:50:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?
From: 杨华杰 <yhjhoo AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 09:49:16 +0800
Hi Daniel

I think backupPC is a good solution for your backupPC instead github. For me , I do not want to waste my bandwidth to upload to internet. The backup processing could take weeks.

For me , I used a used machine(5 years ago) and installed ubuntu server. The initial setup will be a little bit challenge for beginners. But after you make the first step, you do not need to worry about it.

For me again, I will check the backup every month to see whether the backup is working or not, my data is critical.

Regards,
Hua Jie

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM, Adam Goryachev <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au> wrote:
On 24/06/13 00:02, Doug Lytle wrote:
> Daniel Carrera wrote:
>> Anyway, that's my situation. I would love to hear any general advice
>> you can offer. Do you think I should try with BacupPC? Is there
>> another backup option that you'd recommend instead?
> If you have the space and the capabilities to do so, I don't see why
> not.  I use it personally in my home.  My data set is no where near that
> size though.  I have it running as a Virtual Machine.

I think there are a number of issues here:
1) Backuppc will not store duplicate copies of files even if you rename
the directory, however, it will still re-transfer the files during the
first backup after the rename (even with rsync[d]).

2) BackupPC expects to store it's data on a local filesystem, NFS may or
may not support hardlinks, depending on the underlying FS on the NFS server.

3) To get the full benefits of any backup solution, the backup copy
should be "remote" from the source. This might mean a few metres away
(protects against some things, but not fire/flood/theft/etc). However, a
backup on the same physical disk is even worse, since it doesn't even
protect against physical disk failure. Only you can decide how much
protection you need based on the data you are working with etc.

Worst case scenario, get yourself an old (or new really cheap single
board computer like the Raspberry Pi) and connect some new decent size
HDD's, then run backuppc on this "remote" machine. Bonus for putting it
in a separate room/building/city/etc... Although keep in mind point one
above when calculating bandwidth requirements.

I don't know of any backup solution that would be better suited, and
handle the directory rename any better (except maybe DRBD or similar,
but that isn't a backup solution, that is more for redundancy).

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev