BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?

2013-06-25 11:40:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:38:47 -0500
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 4:05 AM, Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:

> Latest update: It turns out that my sysadmin recently (and
> coincidentally) started a backup server with BackupPC. The storage I
> want is a bit large for just one user, but we'll try it out over the
> summer and see where things are when classes start.

I'm having a little trouble reconciling the idea of a 'personal'
backup with  hundreds of gigs of data per directory, a file server, a
sysadmin, etc. so I don't think we have the whole picture here.  But,
I'll join the others in suggesting that you probably should run/store
the backup on a different host.   Even though it is not strictly
necessary, many of the things that you want the backup to protect
against (software, hardware failures, operator errors, etc.) will
clobber all attached storage at once.  The way to do that cheaply is
to stuff some big sata drives in a raid 1 or 10 configuration in a
machine that does something else in the daytime.  Given reasonable
hardware you can run backuppc in a VM if necessary (i.e. it doesn't
run linux natively or you would not have appropriate access to the
host otherwise).

If the underlying data is compressible it may take a lot less storage
than you expect.   Also, if are 'trying things out' you might be able
to test the upcoming 4.0 version.  If I understand the concepts, it
may be able to detect existing but moved/renamed files before they are
transferred where the 3.x versions would have to copy them before
matching in the pool.