BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?

2013-06-25 05:07:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?
From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:05:51 +0200
Hi Tim,

On 25 June 2013 09:28, Tim Connors <tconnors AT rather.puzzling DOT org> wrote:

> I can unrecommend ZFS in backuppc.  My own backuppc/ZFS fileserver crashes
> about once a week (to the point where I built an automatic watchdog for
> it), and every single lockup reported on the zfsonlinux
> mailing list is due to a relatively (but not huge - 300G seems to be the
> typical size) large rsync.  It just doesn't cope with memory pressure yet,
> and an rsync run seems to interact badly with cache.

Hmm... that doesn't sound good. I cannot afford to have the filesystem
lockup on a 300 GB sync. I expect to do a sync like that every couple
of weeks.

Latest update: It turns out that my sysadmin recently (and
coincidentally) started a backup server with BackupPC. The storage I
want is a bit large for just one user, but we'll try it out over the
summer and see where things are when classes start.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
Lord of the rings calendar in your Linux/Unix/Mac terminal:
cat /usr/share/calendar/calendar.lotr