BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?

2013-06-23 12:10:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?
From: Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 18:08:37 +0200
Hi Daniel

On 23.06.2013 15:13, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to ask an opinion question: Do you think BackupPC is a
> sensible backup solution for personal, non-enterprise,
> only-one-computer use?

Yes, I use it both ways, in the company for enterprise wide backups and
at home for my images and the rest of files that accumulate on a
personal PC. However, at home I do backups manually (automatic backups
disabled) because data doesn't change that often, my PC doesn't run 24x7
and I don't want to be slowed down by a backup run when starting up my
PC for the first time in two weeks. In the office, everything is
automatic, though.

However, I'd strongly recommend to use either an additional machine to
hold the backup data (this could very well be a NAS that is capable of
running backuppc or an old desktop machine with ample of free disk space
to do so). The reason to do so is simple: Data that does not exist in at
least three different, independent locations doesn't exist at all. If
you do only one backup to the same hard drive the data lives on, what
will you do if this drive suddenly dies? At home, I use an old
industrial PC (low power consumption) with an external 2TB USB2 disk
located in the cellar as my private backuppc server. USB2 is not really
recommended as it is really slow, and the cheap drives would make a
professional shudder, but backups never take more than 4 hours in my
case. I use another USB2 hard disk connected to my cellar server from
time to time (using the backuppc archive target) in oder to take
off-site backups to be stored in my desk at work, just in case ...

In the office, a similar setup is in use: the backuppc server is located
as far away from the other servers as possible, and monthly off-site
backups to a couple of external hard disks are kept off site in my
private cellar.

With kind regards

Stefan Pter

--
"In summary, I think you are trying to solve a problem that may not
need to be solved, using a tool that is not meant to solve it, without