BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?

2013-06-25 03:45:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?
From: Tim Connors <tconnors AT rather.puzzling DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:28:15 +1000 (EST)
On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:

> On 2013-06-23 14:13, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> > I'd like to ask an opinion question: Do you think BackupPC is a
> > sensible backup solution for personal, non-enterprise,
> > only-one-computer use?
>
> If you plan to run it on your local work station, on your disk, for the
> purposes of restoring overwritten/deleted files, then consider using a COW
> filesystem like ZFS instead.

I can unrecommend ZFS in backuppc.  My own backuppc/ZFS fileserver crashes
about once a week (to the point where I built an automatic watchdog for
it), and every single lockup reported on the zfsonlinux
mailing list is due to a relatively (but not huge - 300G seems to be the
typical size) large rsync.  It just doesn't cope with memory pressure yet,
and an rsync run seems to interact badly with cache.

> BackupPC really is best with its own server. And with the amount of data
> you're quoting, make sure you're using gigabit Ethernet at minimum.

Nah, I was running on 100M for a long time quite successfully.  The
bottleneck is disk on the server anyway.

--
Tim Connors