BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?

2013-06-23 09:15:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?
From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 15:13:22 +0200
Hi all,

I'd like to ask an opinion question: Do you think BackupPC is a
sensible backup solution for personal, non-enterprise,
only-one-computer use?

I am an astronomer. I produce a fair amount of data that I want backed
up and I frequently rename directories that contain 60 - 300 GB of
data. Obviously, I don't want all of that to be re-transmitted and
re-copied just because I moved a directory. I searched for a backup
solution that could handle directory renames/moves properly, and the
only options I have found so far are BackupPC or using Git for
backups.

I'm not crazy about using Git for backups, but I suppose I could.
BackupPC sounds great, but I realize that it is an enterprise solution
that expects to run on its own separate server, probably have a local
disk for backups, and so on. I suppose I could run Apache on my
workstation and run BackupPC on top. I hope to get access to a file
server next week. I don't know if it will be an NFS mount or an SSH
login. I suppose that an NFS mount would work best for BackupPC.

Anyway, that's my situation. I would love to hear any general advice
you can offer. Do you think I should try with BacupPC? Is there
another backup option that you'd recommend instead?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
Lord of the rings calendar in your Linux/Unix/Mac terminal:
cat /usr/share/calendar/calendar.lotr