BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?

2013-06-24 06:08:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC as a personal backup solution?
From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:06:38 +0200
Hello,

Thanks for the help. I didn't mean to say that I was considering
github. What I meant to say is that I was considering a local Git
repository, accessible by NFS or SSH through the local LAN. But in any
case, I am not  big fan of the Git idea. Git is not meant to be a
backup solution.

I will give Backuppc  try. Thanks.

Cheers
Daniel.

On 24 June 2013 03:49, 杨华杰 <yhjhoo AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hi Daniel
>
> I think backupPC is a good solution for your backupPC instead github. For me
> , I do not want to waste my bandwidth to upload to internet. The backup
> processing could take weeks.
>
> For me , I used a used machine(5 years ago) and installed ubuntu server. The
> initial setup will be a little bit challenge for beginners. But after you
> make the first step, you do not need to worry about it.
>
> For me again, I will check the backup every month to see whether the backup
> is working or not, my data is critical.
>
> Regards,
> Hua Jie
>

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM, Adam Goryachev
> <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au> wrote:

>> > If you have the space and the capabilities to do so, I don't see why
>> > not.  I use it personally in my home.  My data set is no where near that
>> > size though.  I have it running as a Virtual Machine.
>> >
>> I think there are a number of issues here:
>> 1) Backuppc will not store duplicate copies of files even if you rename
>> the directory, however, it will still re-transfer the files during the
>> first backup after the rename (even with rsync[d]).
>>
>> 2) BackupPC expects to store it's data on a local filesystem, NFS may or
>> may not support hardlinks, depending on the underlying FS on the NFS
>> server.
>>
>> 3) To get the full benefits of any backup solution, the backup copy
>> should be "remote" from the source. This might mean a few metres away
>> (protects against some things, but not fire/flood/theft/etc). However, a
>> backup on the same physical disk is even worse, since it doesn't even
>> protect against physical disk failure. Only you can decide how much
>> protection you need based on the data you are working with etc.
>>
>> Worst case scenario, get yourself an old (or new really cheap single
>> board computer like the Raspberry Pi) and connect some new decent size
>> HDD's, then run backuppc on this "remote" machine. Bonus for putting it
>> in a separate room/building/city/etc... Although keep in mind point one
>> above when calculating bandwidth requirements.
>>
>> I don't know of any backup solution that would be better suited, and
>> handle the directory rename any better (except maybe DRBD or similar,
>> but that isn't a backup solution, that is more for redundancy).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adam
>>
>> --
>> Adam Goryachev
>> Website Managers
>> www.websitemanagers.com.au

Lord of the rings calendar in your Linux/Unix/Mac terminal:
cat /usr/share/calendar/calendar.lotr