BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2011-04-13 18:24:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 18:20:31 -0400
Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote on 04/13/2011 06:01:54 PM:

> > is because I have it going to an iSCSI target on a machine with ZFS which
> > snapshots the pool. The key there is I'm taking snapshots of it so even if
> > it corrupts, I'm fine. All I'd have to do is mount the .img as EXT4 in an
> > iSCSI target and point a client to that target to retrieve the files.
>
> If you want an honest opinion, that sounds like a few random sentences to me,
> fabricated to include certain keywords. To me, it doesn't make any sense
> whatsoever.

It it didn't to me, either.  And I deal with this stuff (iSCSI, snapshots, loopback images, NAS, SAN, etc.) on a pretty regular basis.

> Are you sure you *understand* the concepts you are talking about?

I'm sure he does *not*, once he said he's protecting against filesystem corruption with snapshots...

<Lots of *very* good advice snipped>

> Hope that helps.
>
> Regards,
> Holger

I gotta say, I hope Saturn takes what you wrote to heart.  I had told myself I was certainly not going to reply to a post from him on this thread again, and possibly never reply to *any* of his threads ever again.  But I'm glad that *you* did:  you wrote the same thing I wrote and was *certainly* thinking but I would have done it with a slightly more... aggressive tone.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com