BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2011-04-12 15:44:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:40:05 -0400
"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 04/10/2011 01:57:01 PM:

> The only problem with dd is that you would generally need to either
> make a "snapshot" (e.g., using lvm2) or shutdown BackupPC and unmount
> the drives to assure a perfect partition copy.

You always have to unmount (for it to work correctly, anyway), whether you're dd'ing the partition raw or using LVM.  The difference with LVM is that you only have to have it umounted for a brief moment, and without it for the entire time of the DD.

> I'm not sure though how a 'dd' of an lvm2 snapshot works and what you
> would need to do on the new drive to get it to mount.

The same thing you'd have to do in any other case:  mount it!  :)

It's a bit-for-bit copy.  It just works.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com