BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Here my log

2009-04-08 07:18:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Here my log
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:06:57 +0200
Hi,

Johan Ehnberg wrote on 2009-04-08 13:32:23 +0300 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Here my
log]:

> [...]
> > I would like to get some more detailed log about the "DumpPreUserCmd"
> > (which reads: ssh $@ 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null && echo "SSH started
> > successfully.") because I don't know if the ssh tunnel effectively gets
> > opened and *remains* open.
> >
> > How do I debug this further?
>
> For testing, you can remove the "1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null" from the
> script to see the output of SSH. Note that the backup will not proceed
> like this as SSH can't be backgrounded without redirecting the output.

it doesn't seem like ssh actually *is* backgrounded. I didn't read the
tutorial and haven't played around with this, so I'm not quite sure *what* you
would want to background to keep the tunnel open [long enough]. You would
obviously need to background *something*, otherwise BackupPC would wait for
the tunnel to close and the DumpPreUserCmd to finish before proceeding with
the backup, wouldn't it?

- The "sleep" on the client? That wouldn't help, because "ssh" wouldn't
  terminate before "sleep" is done.
- The "ssh" command? Then how do you know whether it started successfully?
- The script which starts ssh (or, equivalently, the "ssh && echo" sequence)?
  How do you tell BackupPC whether the "ssh" was successful (return code of
  the DumpPreUserCmd, determining whether to proceed with the backup or not)?

Regards,
Holger