BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Host Summary does not show up anymore

2009-04-08 07:40:56
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Host Summary does not show up anymore
From: mardop <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 05:30:15 -0400
Hi, I am very new to linux and fighting my way trough ;-) I have four pc's with
linux/bsd: 1 Debian Lenny KDE, 1 Debian Lenny Gnome, 1 Ubunu Beta 9.04 and 1
freeBSD Server. The Debian Lenny KDE should be the backupserver für backuppc.
I followed an instruction, that I found here:
and that seemed rather simple to me. After following each step I started the
web interface and everything seemed to work fine. I configured rsync and for a
start, I included only one workstation to backup (Lenny Gnome). In the browser
I opened the menue "Host Summary" and startet the backup for this client. On
the freeBSD-Server two folders were created, cpool and pc. In the pc folder a
folder with the name of the IP-Adress of the backup client was generated
(192.168.0.10). Within the folder two files where created, "lock" and
"log042009".
And then I waited. Nothing happened for a long time. To try to see, if
something happened I verified the filestructure on the freeBSD server, but
neither there were files added nor did the size of the genaerated files change,
it was alwas 0 B.
In the browser I clicked on "Status", to see, if some message would appear, but
that was not the case... And then sth. strange happened: When I clicked back on
"Host Summary" to reopen that page, it did not show up anymore - just the
busy-icon was turning all the time - I waited for over 45 min because I thougt,
that the client was too busy for the page to connect and then stopped the
browser. Since then I am not able anymore to open that page, even if backuppc
does not seem to have any pending backup-job that would be running... I also
opened the browser on the client to see, if "Host Summary" page could be opened
from there - ith the same result, the page cannot be opened anymore, but all
other pages in the browser would open, if I clicked on the corresponding menue.
I can configure the server, it would save changes, but I can never open the
Host Summary.
For two days now, I am searching for the issue; I reinstalled the Debion Lenny
KDE pc and reinstalled the server with a - from my point of view - rather much
different walkthrough, ending up with exactly the same problem.
I must say, that I do not have a DNS server in my network and am always working
with ip-addresses. (The reason was, that I just did not understand how to do
this, when I had a pure windows networtk). I hope, that this is not the reason,
because a DNS server is way down on my todos; it was not really a need up to
now...
If someone has a idea, what is happening to my backuppc installation, I would
greatly appreciate any help.
thnx in advance