BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Here my log

2009-04-08 10:50:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Here my log
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 00:43:16 +1000

Boniforti Flavio wrote:
>>> Still, there remains "auth required, but service data is
>> open/insecure":
>>> to what does it refer?
>> I think that means backuppc had a password configured but the rsyncd
>> server didn't ask for it.   You can test rsyncd operation
>> with command
>> line rsync using  '::' to separate the hostname and path.
>
> I'm not aware of any kind of password on the rsyncd, because actually
> with rsnapshot and ssh-tunnel, I'm not using any password at all.
>
> Here my /etc/rsyncd.conf (I'm using cwRsync on Windows):
>
> use chroot = false
> strict modes = false
> hosts allow = *
> log file = rsyncd.log
>
> # Module definitions
> # Remember cygwin naming conventions : c:\work becomes /cygwin/c/work
> #
> [data]
> path = /cygdrive/d/data
> read only = true
> transfer logging = yes
>
> [profilo]
> path = /cygdrive/d/Profilo
> read only = true
> transfer logging = yes
>
> [ExchBkp]
> path = /cygdrive/d/ExchBkp
> read only = true
> transfer logging = yes
> ------------------------
> And, actually the rsync command looks like:
>
> /usr/bin/rsync -rtv --port=8874 --delete --ignore-errors --numeric-ids \
> --delete-excluded --stats --progress localhost::Profili/
>
> You can see that with the :: it is working...
>
> What should I do?

Set the value correctly:
# Whether authentication is mandatory when connecting to the client's
# rsyncd.  By default this is on, ensuring that BackupPC will refuse to
# connect to an rsyncd on the client that is not password protected.
# Turn off at your own risk.
#
$Conf{RsyncdAuthRequired} = 1;

In you case, I suspect you need to set it to 0

Regards,
Adam