BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc CGI Interface not working for me

2009-04-05 10:54:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc CGI Interface not working for me
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Laurin d'Volts <email.port25 AT gmail DOT com>, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 16:04:20 +0200
Hi,

Laurin d'Volts wrote on 2009-04-05 00:12:54 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Backuppc CGI Interface not working for me]:
> On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 13:36 +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Laurin d'Volts <email.port25 AT gmail DOT
> > com> wrote:
> >         Here's the output from the commands I ran:
> >
> > [...]
> >         seakitten@widerule:~$ cd /usr/local/etc/apache22/
> >         bash: cd: /usr/local/etc/apache22/: No such file or directory
> >         seakitten@widerule:~$ ls -al BackupPC_Admin
> >         ls: cannot access BackupPC_Admin: No such file or directory
> > [...]

well, this, at least, really *does* suggest you are not fully understanding
what you are doing (aside from the fact that you are not providing much
relevant information). While I wouldn't go so far as to suggest ...

> > Ditch Debian, get FreeBSD and I will help you to the end.

... I do feel inclined to point out that you should not be running *sid*. sid
is for people debugging issues in new package versions so they will not cause
great trouble when moving to testing, which will in turn one day become stable,
and for experts that need the utmost recent versions of many packages and can
deal with the resulting problems. lenny has been released as 'stable' less
than two months ago, meaning that even the packages in lenny should still be
fairly current.

In short: run lenny, and if you really *do* need newer versions of any
packages, use backports.

As a matter of fact, your problem *could* be related to something currently
being broken on (your) sid (installation). I wouldn't know what might be
broken on sid, because I have no reason to run sid.

Odhiambo Washington wrote on 2009-04-05 12:13:23 +0300 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Backuppc CGI Interface not working for me]:
> Debian has very funny
> configs, which I hear are m4 hacks! Other systems are easier ...

I disagree with all three points. While there *are* some awkward things
(like exim4-config, in my opinion), these are probably intended to make things
easier, if you know how to use them. But if you don't, you're always free to
bypass them with standard Unix config files, which, in my experience, don't
get clobbered whenever something deems it necessary to run SuSEconfig, for
instance ;-).

> You may want to look for Debian users to help you out with this. I hope they
> are here.

They are, and sometimes they even find some time :).

But, to get back to the original issue, it might not even have anything to
do with specific systems. Let's start at the beginning:

- Is your browser (Opera) configured to communicate via a proxy? Is your
  BackupPC server ("widerule", *without* any domain name appended) in the
  exceptions list?
- Can you try with a different browser (eg. iceweasel, iceape, galeon,
  konqueror, epiphany-browser, lynx)? You could even use telnet to
  determine what the exact error is ('telnet widerule 80'; if it says
  "Connected to widerule." and "Escape character is '^]'.", then press
  Control-] and type "quit" (and Enter); if it says
  "telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: <something>", then the
  <something> is the error we're looking for).
- Are any firewall rules active on the computer? Hint: 'iptables -L -v -n'.
- You're trying from the BackupPC server itself, right? Which IP does
  "widerule" resolve to (hint: see ping output or use 'host widerule')?
  Chances are, it's not localhost (127.0.0.1). Do you get anything for
  http://localhost/backuppc (hmm, why should you?), http://localhost/index.cgi
  or even http://localhost/ ?
- Could you please post the contents of your
  /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/backuppc ?
- That file doesn't exist? Is there one with a different name in
  /etc/apache2/sites-enable that seems relevant? One in
  /etc/apache2/sites-available? Do the directories /etc/apache2,
  /etc/apache2/sites-enabled and /etc/apache2/sites-available exist?
- Is apache really running? Hint: 'ps e -C apache2'.

In fact, Les was trying to figure out all of these from a different angle
when he asked for the log files. The last lines of any recently modified files
under /var/log/apache2/ (right after you *try* to access the server) would be
of interest. These would also give a clue about what might be going wrong,
provided connectivity between browser and web server is given (which does not
seem to be the case, though). If apache is *not* running, the reason should be
in there, too.

Regards,
Holger