BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc CGI Interface not working for me

2009-04-07 04:25:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc CGI Interface not working for me
From: Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Laurin d'Volts" <email.port25 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 11:19:00 +0300

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Laurin d'Volts <email.port25 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 16:04 +0200, Holger Parplies wrote:
> - That file doesn't exist? Is there one with a different name in
>   /etc/apache2/sites-enable that seems relevant? One in
>   /etc/apache2/sites-available? Do the directories /etc/apache2,
>   /etc/apache2/sites-enabled and /etc/apache2/sites-available exist?
> - Is apache really running? Hint: 'ps e -C apache2'.

I understand something could be broken with Sid on the computer I'm
using. However, the other computer I'm using also uses Sid. This makes
me thinks a couple of things:

1. Backuppc is not configured correctly
Place the script in /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ and then put a .htaccess in there, I suppose. Then access it as http://yourserverip/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin

2. Something system configuration is not correct

Most likely but you did read the requirements for running it so that is your problem. The script needs to be suid and owned by backuppc_user, and backuppc daemon must be running.

3. Apache is not setup correctly

Well, that should have been there in the first place, done by you.

4. The system is broke
5. Perhaps it's an undiscussed bug.

Discussing the OS is beyond the scope of this list.

I don't know much about backuppc.

Neither did I, and I still don't, but I did get it running on FreeBSD, with a few stupid mistakes.

I didn't know that understanding apache was a requirement for it.

It's not, but you need to know how to run a cgi program.

I was hoping for the tutorials and documentation on backuppc to cover
more of these things in detail.

There is documentation and they are clear enough. Any sysadmin can do it.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,