BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Nmblookup doesn't find anything, host can't be found

2009-04-05 10:57:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Nmblookup doesn't find anything, host can't be found
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Fatih Arslan <ftharsln AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 16:44:46 +0200
Hi,

Fatih Arslan wrote on 2009-04-05 12:06:27 +0300 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Nmblookup
doesn't find anything, host can't be ?found]:
> Thanks all for helping. I've just figured out where the problem  is.
>
> On my client(which is ubuntu 8.04), i thought that Samba was
> pre-installed. But this is not the case, thus I've installed Samba
> trough synaptic.
> Now nmblookup is able to see my client, I've just started to take a backup.
>
> But i thought that for a Linux Client, samba is not needed? Am I wrong
> with this assumption ?

installing Samba for NMB is definitely overkill. There are two points to note:

- the DHCP code in BackupPC is targetted at Windoze hosts (because Unix hosts
  generally prefer fixed IPs, though there are exceptions). 'nmblookup' is
  for finding out the name of a Windoze machine. For Unix machines, you use
  DNS (even with DHCP), /etc/hosts or maybe something like
  'telnet $ip hostname' or 'ssh $ip hostname'. You *can* use Samba and
  nmblookup, but the other options are more elegant.

- Using the '-d' option on BackupPC_dump is about the same as setting the
  DHCP option to '1' in the hosts file.

Since you switched to fixed IPs, everything is probably working as it should
even without Samba. If you want to test, omit the '-d' option to BackupPC_dump.

One more thing to note is that you should reload the server after changing the
hosts file.

Regards,
Holger