Amanda-Users

Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]

2005-07-13 17:20:48
Subject: Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]
From: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:07:04 -0500
Gene Heskett wrote:

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 14:22, Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:22:56PM -0500, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 10:05:29AM -0500, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
I have set up a client for amanda to backup. The amanda server
runs as user backup, so I set up the client to be run by backup
as well. I am getting errors in my amanda main report:

moe        /tmp/rt3.backup lev 0 FAILED [disk /tmp/rt3.backup,
all estimate failed]

In the sendsize log I see the following line:

runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]
Looks like the executable was compiled with the default amanda
user, "amanda".
Thus, it expects to be run only by a user named amanda.

After compile you decided to name the amanda user "backup".
The excutables on the client must be compiled to know of this.

configure --with-?user?=backup ...

(Not certain of the exact "with" option).
Actually I just used yum to install the amanda-client, so there
was no compiling involved. So I assume that I need to use a
tarball if the username is not amanda, then?
Don't know yum.

Yellowdog Updater, Modified. It can keep your system uptodate automaticly if you run it daily AND your distro supports it.

But, he has just ran into one of the main reasons we always recommend building amanda from the tarball, that way you don't get stuck with somebody elses grand view of the ideal preferences.

Or he could just add a user named amanda, and make that amanda a member of the group disk or backup. Putting the execute daily stuff into the user amanda's crontab by becomeing amanda and doing a crontab -e to add it. That _should_ work if he is not comfortable working with the compiler.

Do some of those pre-built packages have a way of specifying
local preferences?  Or is that only with the source packages.

But the problem there is that I inherited a working amanda server configuration which runs as backup. I would have to change all the exsting clients and the server to make them run as amanda, right? I can do the tarball thing. No problem. I just wanted to make sure that that was the only option.

Vicki