Amanda-Users

Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]

2005-07-14 05:03:04
Subject: Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]
From: Peter Mueller <peter.mueller.ls AT elimpex DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:39:34 +0200
Hi!

As this tends to be a general "where should amanda development go" discussion
I throw in my opinion too:

.) The "localhost" issue comes up in a daily basis here.
I agree with others here, that there "has to be" a solution how precompiled packages, not only on Linux, can be configured so that backup & recovery work properly
  without compiling anything!
  --> The localhost issue must be reconsidered more general!
(I think the stategy of recovery must be reconsidered from ground up to make
  a simple "localhost" configuration usable and maybe the operator has to
  enter the missing host indentification at recovery time .... ??!?? )

I tend to use precompiled RPMs on production systems - faster more reliable install, easier to upgrade - and thats what I pay the distributor for to do all the
  nasty fiddling around with autoconf and dependencies etc.

Imagine to collect and compile all the little bits and pieces that form a nowerdays
  Linux distribution by hand everytime you set up a Linux box!
  Nobody expects to recompile ls if the hostname changes!

.) Things like the binding to binaries (dump, tar etc) must be configurable, without
  recompiling -> config files!

.) Client side "plugins" that may be run before and after each "disk" must be easily configurable - wrappers are a hack! (and need recompiling - see above)

A short term solution would be to add standard-wrappers to the tarball and
  precompiled packages which may be changed by the operator ...

.) Furthermore I am missing a standard procedure how to cope with a failed
disk backup which is bigger than the available tapes sticking around in your holding disk - maybe only a doc - problem - but I think amadmin should have
  something like a cancel command ?

.) And there is the long promised "multi tape" solution for disks larger than tapes .... Be honest - disks grow ten times faster then tapes - we have to accept this - and furthermore most of us use some kind of virtualisation of disk space which makes the filesystem to be managed independend of available disk sizes ....

Bye, Peter
WOTLmade