Amanda-Users

Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]

2005-07-14 04:39:31
Subject: Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:21:20 +0200
Matt Hyclak wrote:
How are tapeserver and indexserver defined then? They can't know at build
time what that server is. You can use amanda packages from RH as is, but
it's not the recommended way of doing things since they have to use localhost.

I defined them as "amandahost", and I add a CNAME to the appropriate
server with DNS.

There is already a similar situation for "loghost": it usually is
already defined as an alias for localhost in /etc/hosts, and can be
configured with DNS if needed to send all syslog output to a central
server.  This way a single machines configuration works "out of the box"
and bigger networks can configure whatever they want.

Getting "amandahost" compiled in as tapeserver and indexserver, which
can default to "localhost" initially, can be changed by a sysadmin
by just editing the file /etc/hosts or /etc/nsswitch.conf, instead of
recompiling.

* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *