Amanda-Users

Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]

2005-07-13 18:51:48
Subject: Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:41:29 -0400
On Wednesday 13 July 2005 17:16, Graeme Humphries wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 17:03 -0400, Matt Hyclak wrote:
>> How are tapeserver and indexserver defined then?
>> They can't know at build
>> time what that server is.

But they must, else it doesn't work, see below.  This is also some
part of amanda's security, preventing somebody from acting as a proxy
and thereby obtaining enough info to own the system.

>Debian ships two amanda packages, amanda-server and amanda-client.
> The stuff in amanda-server I believe has these default to
> localhost, since if course you'd only install that package on the
> server. Amanda-client contains things that don't care, from what I
> recall.
>
>> You can use amanda packages from RH as is, but
>> it's not the recommended way of doing things since they have to
>> use localhost.
>
>What's wrong with using localhost?

Because the recovery programs must know the FQDN of the server and
with everybody being localhost@localdomain, how are you going to find
the real server?  Good question, that.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: