Amanda-Users

Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]

2005-07-13 17:20:47
Subject: Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:07:25 +0200
Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 10:13:04PM +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

I would like to have some motivated amanda-hackers who try to move all these configure-time-params into amanda.conf ...

When this is done, shouldn't the continued paring of amanda.conf
include removal of those things not specific config related?
Perhaps it is time for a new system-wide config file with
the types of parameters of amanda user ...

Give me more ...

Let's think something like

/etc/amanda/amanda.conf
/etc/amanda/tapetype.conf
/etc/amanda/config/daily/daily.conf
/etc/amanda/config/daily/daily.disklist

or something like this ...

I would really like to develop the overall structure of AMANDA-configuration to a point where we can provide solid packages to the various distributors which simply work with just editing some files.

This would help to bring the benefits of AMANDA to a much bigger audience ...

As we all know, AMANDA is a scheduler, not a backup-program, so it should be possible to move it into that direction.

Dedicated amanda-users will surely keep rolling their own binaries

;-)

Greets, Stefan.

--
Stefan G. Weichinger