Amanda-Users

Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]

2005-07-18 04:28:31
Subject: Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:16:19 +0200
Peter Mueller wrote:

As this tends to be a general "where should amanda development go" discussion
I throw in my opinion too:

fine. thank you.

.) The "localhost" issue comes up in a daily basis here.
  --> The localhost issue must be reconsidered more general!

If we keep this discussion alive, we will maybe find the way to go.

.) Things like the binding to binaries (dump, tar etc) must be configurable, without recompiling -> config files!

This could be done as Mike Delaney suggested.

.) Client side "plugins" that may be run before and after each "disk" must be easily configurable - wrappers are a hack! (and need recompiling - see above)

A short term solution would be to add standard-wrappers to the tarball and
  precompiled packages which may be changed by the operator ...

I give that back to the audience:
What do you think of a plugin-structure?
What kinds of plugins could or should be there?

.) Furthermore I am missing a standard procedure how to cope with a failed
disk backup which is bigger than the available tapes sticking around in your holding disk - maybe only a doc - problem - but I think amadmin should have
  something like a cancel command ?

Please describe this in more detail, maybe in a new thread. I am not sure if I understand what an "amadmin cancel" would have to do with this.

.) And there is the long promised "multi tape" solution for disks larger than tapes .... Be honest - disks grow ten times faster then tapes - we have to accept this - and furthermore most of us use some kind of virtualisation of disk space which makes the filesystem to be managed independend of available disk sizes ....

Thanks to John Stange there is a good and promising patch-set available. There is a reason why this isn't in the stable release yet, and this reason is that there are only a few people who have tested it and reported their experiences back. If John had more active testers and good feedback he would be able to develop things faster. Also if we as AMANDA-maintainers would have more active hackers at hand to review code and patches, this would help to shorten release-cycles etc.

I agree that this functionality is requested by quite a few people, but on the other hand there are some arguments against it, so I think we have to show responsibility for people's data and keep things back until this patch-set is tested by more than a handful people and until it really works for all kinds of setups and situations.

This implies that you as users may step in and take part. If you need and request a functionality, you may suggest how this functionality should look like, and you may take part in testing and reviewing it. We don't have 30 testers in the backyard, this is open-source-development ... The more active the community is, the better the whole development-process can get ...

I am trying to get some life into these things by providing patches like this on the amanda-patches page. I'll do some new patches-page soon, one of the patches there will be John's span-and-split-patchset. There will be patches against current stable and development releases for you to play with, and I am looking forward to many helpful comments and reviews by you, the amanda-users.

Best regards, Stefan.

--
Stefan G. Weichinger
AMANDA core team member