Amanda-Users

Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]

2005-07-18 11:50:09
Subject: Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]
From: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
To: sgw AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:34:14 -0600
On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 10:16 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> I give that back to the audience:
> What do you think of a plugin-structure?
> What kinds of plugins could or should be there?

I would think that the following types would be nice / useful:

- pre-backup client and server side
- post-backup client and server side
- alternate data source client / server side

Particularly the third one is of interest to me, as people begin to
store data in things that aren't exactly normal drives. I'm thinking
here of things like the filesystem metadata in Reiser4 that could be
pulled out, pseudo-filesystems like the wrapper around GMail, or
Google's own internal redundant FS, or other ways of managing network
filesystems.