Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Client

2004-09-28 15:19:56
Subject: Re: Amanda Client
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Jason Miller <jwm AT interlinc DOT net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:07:49 -0400
On Tuesday 28 September 2004 13:47, Jason Miller wrote:
>Ok I just setup a new server to test the port for amanda-client and
> I am getting the same problem as my production box. I also
> installed the port for xinetd to see if I could get it to work
> using it.

Hi Jason;

How are the file(s) for that setup in the /etc/xinetd.d dir?

Granted, this is linux, but on my client machine its just one file
whose name isn't critical but is named amanda for some strange
reason.  Its contents are:
--------------
# default = off
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}
service amandaidx
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}
---------------

I'm not saying at has to be identical, paths to the executables should
be made accurate for instance, but thats the general idea.  This
could also be made into individual files starting with the keyword
service, and ending at the closing }.  xinetd doesn't care.

And don't forget that amanda needs to be configured and built as an
unpriviledged user, but must be installed by root. Forgetting that
leads to all sorts of permissions problems.  This unpriviledged user
should be a member of group disk or some similarly high priority
group.

> It is a no-go, has anyone setup the amanda-client from
> port on a FreeBSD 4.9 box? If so could you point me in the right
> direction where to start after following the online docs on
> amanda's site? A very stupid question is do I have to install the
> server to get just a client to work? It does not seem I would have
> to since I am just wanting a client on this box to backup to my
> server but thought I would just ask since everyone on this user
> board is more fluent with this product then I am.
>
>Seriously appreciate all the help
>
>Jason

There really should be someone here using it on a BSD system, so if
they will speak up, I'd imagine their advice will be more accurate
than mine.

>> From: Matthias Andree <ma AT dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund DOT de>
>> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:58:37 +0200
>> To: Jason Miller <jwm AT interlinc DOT net>
>> Cc: "amanda-users AT amanda DOT org" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
>> Subject: Re: Amanda Client
>>
>> Jason Miller <jwm AT interlinc DOT net> writes:
>>> Got a very stupid question, I am trying to setup amanda client on
>>> a FreeBSD 4.9 server and I am getting the following error.
>>> dgram_recv: recvfrom() failed: Socket operation on non-socket
>>>
>>> Has anyone had experience with this? I am using ucspi-tcp instead
>>> of inetd or xinetd.
>>
>> ucspi-tcp does not provide datagram sockets, but stream sockets.
>>
>> If you want something similar to ucspi-tcp to launch amandad,
>> check the ipsvd package which has a "udpsvd" program.
>> http://smarden.org/ipsvd/ - BTW, it has the additional advantage
>> of being open source, in contrast to DJB's expiring proprietary
>> free-use license, and is, again in contrast to ucspi-tcp, actively
>> maintained.
>>
>> --
>> Matthias Andree
>>
>> Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME
>> preferred)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: