Amanda-Users

Re: AMANDA and the Windows world

2003-02-12 16:26:26
Subject: Re: AMANDA and the Windows world
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Richard Morse <remorse AT partners DOT org>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:59:32 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 at 2:20pm, Richard Morse wrote

> So, I tried this, and you are correct -- the ACLs aren't saved by tar
> (I guess I was hoping that the cygwin tar would be able to work with
> this... perhaps in future versions?
>
> However, I also did do my test restore.  It worked, although the
> permissions were, of course, incorrect.  So, if you're like me, and are
> really only interested in backing up user data -- not programs, or
> system files, it'll probably work correctly.

Thanks for reporting this back to the list -- valuable info, and not
something I was willing to sully my hands with.  ;)

> I'm still looking around to see if there are cygwin based (or, at
> least, command line based that can write to STDOUT, as I imagine that's
> all that's needed) backup programs with do handle acls...

Actually, getting amanda to use some other program (i.e. not GNUtar or
*dump) for backups is not exactly trivial.  The (long in coming)
DUMPER-API is supposed to fix that, but is still a ways off (probably, I'm
not really sure).

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering