Amanda-Users

Re: AMANDA and the Windows world

2003-02-12 16:08:08
Subject: Re: AMANDA and the Windows world
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:32:45 -0500
On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 02:20:39PM -0500, Richard Morse wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 12:23  PM, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >No need to wait.  The backup is being done by tar on the cygwin client.
> >If it saves ACL info and resets them correctly, then amanda will.
> >
> >Do a test on your cygwin client just by creating and extracting a tar
> >archive.
> >

> So, I tried this, and you are correct -- the ACLs aren't saved by tar
> (I guess I was hoping that the cygwin tar would be able to work with
> this... perhaps in future versions?

Highly unlikely.  The cygwin developers change as little as possible
and the gnutar code compiles with no changes.

I have a demo copy of MicroSoft's equivalent to cygwin, "Services For Unix"
(SFU).  Their tar (which is really pax) specifically says it will not do
Windows ACL's.  If M$ doesn't do it, unlikely the cygwin developers at
RedHat will.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)