Amanda-Users

RE: AMANDA and the Windows world

2003-02-12 19:28:02
Subject: RE: AMANDA and the Windows world
From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 18:17:57 -0500

> So, I tried this, and you are correct -- the ACLs aren't saved by tar
> (I guess I was hoping that the cygwin tar would be able to work with
> this... perhaps in future versions?
>
> However, I also did do my test restore.  It worked, although the
> permissions were, of course, incorrect.  So, if you're like
> me, and are
> really only interested in backing up user data -- not programs, or
> system files, it'll probably work correctly.
>
> I'm still looking around to see if there are cygwin based (or, at
> least, command line based that can write to STDOUT, as I
> imagine that's
> all that's needed) backup programs with do handle acls...

As a workaround, you could dump the ACLs with CACLS.EXE to a text file. This
would have to be run on each directory you care about, and you'd have to
write something to parse the output afterwards and apply it, but it's a
start, and doesn't change Cygwin or AMANDA.

The output looks something like this:

U:\docs>CACLS vssver.scc

U:\docs\vssver.scc DOMAIN\Domain Admins:F
                   DOMAIN\user:F

To make that back into a CACLS command, it would have to look like this:

U:\docs>CACLS vssver.scc /P "DOMAIN\Domain Admins":F DOMAIN\user:F

The Perl transformation of one into the other is left as an exercise for the
student. But this will do the job.