Amanda-Users

Re: AMANDA and the Windows world

2003-02-12 15:50:17
Subject: Re: AMANDA and the Windows world
From: Richard Morse <remorse AT partners DOT org>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:20:39 -0500

On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 12:23  PM, Jon LaBadie wrote:
No need to wait.  The backup is being done by tar on the cygwin client.
If it saves ACL info and resets them correctly, then amanda will.

Do a test on your cygwin client just by creating and extracting a tar
archive.

So, I tried this, and you are correct -- the ACLs aren't saved by tar (I guess I was hoping that the cygwin tar would be able to work with this... perhaps in future versions?

However, I also did do my test restore. It worked, although the permissions were, of course, incorrect. So, if you're like me, and are really only interested in backing up user data -- not programs, or system files, it'll probably work correctly.

I'm still looking around to see if there are cygwin based (or, at least, command line based that can write to STDOUT, as I imagine that's all that's needed) backup programs with do handle acls...

Ricky