Amanda-Users

Re: AMANDA and the Windows world

2003-02-13 03:48:31
Subject: Re: AMANDA and the Windows world
From: Christopher Odenbach <odenbach AT hni.uni-paderborn DOT de>
To: Broderick Wood <bmw AT cs.ualberta DOT ca>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 08:12:25 +0100
Hi,

> Actually in my experience, you are more likely to see development to
> support other OSes OUTSIDE of M$.  What might be an interesting idea
> is if there is a freeware/opensource backup/restore program for
> Windows that could be integrated into the AmandaClient...

As a long time amanda user I can pretty well remember that this
requirement has been discussed quite often in the past...

If you have a look at the sourceforge-project "Amanda Backup Win32
Clients" (which has been abbandonned since 2001), there you can find a
small program called "nttar", which nicely backs up (and restores) nt
acls. I recently tested it - looked quite good.

I think it should not be too hard to code a wrapper around this (or to
integrate some changes into the source) to make it react like gnutar -
and then to integrate it into amanda.

Regards,

Christopher (who would love to see amanda one day back up windoze boxes
natively)