Amanda-Users

Re: AMANDA and the Windows world

2003-02-12 11:07:38
Subject: Re: AMANDA and the Windows world
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: marc.bigler AT day DOT com
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:29:40 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 at 12:08pm, marc.bigler AT day DOT com wrote

> I wanted to ask how good is AMANDA to backup Windows servers ? One of the
> few issues I can think of is:
>
> - will it backup a windows file owner permissions and rights (ACL) ?
> - is it possible for AMANDA to restore directly to a Windows server ?
> - what needs to be put in place to backup windows servers ? Is there an
> amanda client for windows ?

There are two ways to back up 'doze clients.  See docs/SAMBA in the
amanda source tarball and discussions of the cygwin client both in the
2.4.4b1 docs and in the archives of this list.

Neither is perfect.  Samba definitely won't get ACLs, I *think* it can to
direct restores, and it needs nothing more than a defined share on the
'doze client.  The cygwin client is pretty new and thus less tested.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering