Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Configuring NAS !

2003-03-04 22:55:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Configuring NAS !
From: curtis.lists AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 19:55:44 -0800
It all depends on what works for you.  Here's a quick list of pros and cons
(long list in my book, Using SANs and NAS)

1. NDMP
        - Lower performance overhead than NFS/CIFS
        - Will be sure to get all ACLs
        - Sometimes better performance than NFS/CIFS
        - Backup prioritized behind regular NFS/CIFS requests
        - Backups are in a proprietary format only usable on that
manfacturer's filer.
        (yes, you can often read the tapes with dump/tar,
         but what a pain, and you'd lose the ACLs)
        - Often can't share NDMP tape drives w/other (non-NDMP) backup
clients
        - Many NDMP implementations leave a lot to be desired

2. NFS/CIFS
        - Mixed filesystem drives (NFS/CIFS) must be done via CIFS,
          or you lose the ACLs
        - Cannot distinguish regular NFS/CIFS requests from backup traffic
        - More network load on Filer
        - More flexible, since can share tape drives with other clients
        - More portable, since backup in your backup s/w's format