Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Configuring NAS !

2003-03-07 18:58:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Configuring NAS !
From: scurry AT yahoo-inc DOT com (Steve Curry)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 15:58:30 -0800
Karun-

For the most part we use direct connected drives (direct FC or via SAN) on
our netapps.  If you have a busy environment direct connected drives and
NDMP seems to be the best (IMO), but if the filers are not heavly loaded,
and you don't have tons of itty bitty files then remote NDMP should work
fine.  We use remote NDMP on 4 small filers and then direct connected drives
on the larger/busier filers.  The thing about remote NDMP is that it allows
you to share that drive for multiple NDMP devices, but regular clients won't
be able to use it.  So it's pretty much dedicated to NDMP only.

What's a busy filer look like?  ;) For those dealing with netapp filers this
pic is intersting  http://www1.hottrance.com/~scurry/busyfiler.jpg  Thats a
geocities filer, working happily serving up pages (yes still has a little
headroom on the cpu and disk util... posted on my personal site).

my 2 cents!

Steve Curry
Storage-Ops
Yahoo! Inc.