Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Configuring NAS !

2003-03-07 19:29:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Configuring NAS !
From: mhickey AT glasshousetech DOT com (Mark Hickey)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 19:29:12 -0500
Bob,
   I had a much different experience.  I have a backup solution
consisting of a dedicated backup SAN, STK L700 library with LTO drives,
and 2 NetApps F840 filers comprising about 8 TB of capacity.  The
NetApps filers are each attached to 2 drives over fiber via a Brocade
switch.  All working great.

   I had a drive failure on a drive attached to the filer and during the
replacement the HP rep rebooted the library, and the filer lost it's
drives.  Due to the nature of the data on the filer, it could not be
re-booted for a few days.  I configured remote NDMP on a Solaris server
that also had two drives in the library.

   For a small backup and restore test, this worked.  For the full
backup over the weekends, my success rate was about 10 - 20%.  The
typical scenario was that the job would write a good amount of data,
then fail with an NDMP failure 99.

   Once we re-booted the filer, all was good again.

 Mark