Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Configuring NAS !

2003-03-10 11:30:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Configuring NAS !
From: mhickey AT glasshousetech DOT com (Mark Hickey)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:30:28 -0500
Bill,

   My comments below...

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Bill Wiessner [mailto:bill.wiessner AT veritas DOT com]
        Sent: Fri 3/7/2003 7:20 PM
        To: Mark Hickey; Karun Subramanian; Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn
DOT edu
        Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Configuring NAS !

        Whoa, not sure what you mean Mark.

        !) Did you install NBU MP3?  This had fixes specific to remote-NDMP.  It
        increases the memory buffer size and usage on the media server and
increases
        performance a lot.

have had the NDMP patch on that media server since it was not originally tasked
to be a remote NDMP server.

        2) Backing up a NAS box by following the NFS mount will not preserve the
        ACLs.

ACLS went away.

        Why dedicate a tape drive to a single NAS box when it can be used for
many?

of data each, the minimum number of tape drives estimated to be needed to meet
the backup windows was 2.  So I need 2 drives to get the throughput I need to
back the data up in the window I have.

         The other reason is resiliency.  If I have all my filers backing up
through one system, and I lose a drive or something, I lose the ability to
backup all my filers.

        Mark

        Bill Wiessner
        Sr. Staff Systems Engineer