Networker

Re: [Networker] SDLT320 Support with Solstice Backup 6.1 Build 186

2004-01-06 19:04:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] SDLT320 Support with Solstice Backup 6.1 Build 186
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:03:36 -0800
> I'm hoping you're right.  I had problems with the M2 capacity, tried
> to overwrite the default capacity and couldn't.

>From your statement, I'm not sure exactly what you tried there or what
response you got.

Every volume has a capcity attribute.  You can't change that without
relabeling.  That capacity attribute should not affect it's actual
capacity.

You can either pass a capacity value directly to the label process (for
a one-off as an example), or you can modify the "volume default
capacity" attribute on the device, which will set the capacity that a
volume is labeled with when no capacity is specified to the nsrmm/nsrjb
label command.

> I'm going to try a backup with a capacity setting on the label and see
> what happens.

It should be identical to a backup with no capacity setting on the
label.  The only difference should be the output of
mminfo -r 'volume,%used,capacity' -q 'volume=<VOLUME>' as the volume is
written.

The %used is calculated as (written / capacity), with 100% shown if
written is greater than capacity and 'full' only after the end of media
is detected.  I certainly have DLT tapes labeled with 65GB capacities
that have over 100GB of data written on them due to varying levels of
compression.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company