Networker

Re: [Networker] SDLT320 Support with Solstice Backup 6.1 Build 186

2004-01-05 22:32:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] SDLT320 Support with Solstice Backup 6.1 Build 186
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 19:32:03 -0800
> I set it to SDLT (as I recall) but need SDLT320 to get 160GB capacity.
> SDLT320 not showing up as a drop down menu item via nwadmin

Why do you think this is true?  Have you written to one of the tapes and
had it fill up prematurely?

Networker does *not* care about the type of device for the capacity of a
'tape' device.  It simply writes to the drive until an error occurs and
then marks it full (plus some verification).

As long as the solaris st device is setting the correct density, then
the tape should hold the correct amount and Networker will use all of
it, even if it doesn't know exactly what a SDLT320 device is.

The only thing the "media type" attribute for the device should do (to
my knowledge) is to tell Networker what type of media is allowed to be
used.  If you have a "DLT" and a "SDLT", it won't try to use the same
media in each one, even if they were in the same library.  The capacity
of each volume is driven by the OS device and not affected.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company